Thursday, March 06, 2008

big brother don't lie

One of my oldest friends in California is JT. I moved in next door to him in Santa Cruz when I was 18 and renting my first apartment. We became fast friends because we had a mutual love for beer, the beach, and bbq pork burritos. JT is one of the few people who I know for sure reads every blog posting I write, and complains when I haven't posted. I went to go visit him last weekend in Santa Cruz and he told me my blog has lately been "really boring!"

JT is like the older brother I wish I had but never did, so when he says something like that he could be messing with my head-- because that's what big brothers like to do-- or he could be telling me the truth. I quickly scanned some recent posts and I admit there is a lot of whining and feeling a bit sorry for myself. I think it's fascinating stuff, but it's possible others are not as entertained. I started to write a post the other day titled, "Collapsing under the weight of 1,000 fucked-up cake plates", but decided to stop myself from continuing the theme after talking to JT. It's possible that even I am getting bored with whining.

Today was the first day in a long time-- I'm talking months-- that I got to make some stuff that was not directly related to my wholesale business. The plan that's been in the works for a while is that Sara will deal with wholesale and I will make Art capital A. And receive visitors into my kingdom while eating bon-bons and getting a shoulder massage. And also, getting fanned with palm fronds by the palace slaves-- I mean interns.

So today I fooled around with my porcelain and here is some of what I made:
I threw away most of what came out today, but at least it wasn't boring!

6 comments:

  1. Your blog is by far, to me, not at all boring, but rather very entertaining, well written, and at times, quite funny! Please keep on writing and making those beautiful pots. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are just beautiful! Please keep us updated on their progression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Actually, I do lie every now and then (I'm a fisherman, remember); and I think reading about your life and work is highly interesting.
    JT/BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not boring at all, very, very, very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:03 PM

    I just stumbled onto your blog and LOVE it! As a fellow mudwrestler I find your writing amusing and interesting. I am distrustful of people who edit out reality to post a pollyanna blog. Thanks for keepin' it real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:31 AM

    Oh my god, those are stunning! I found by way of Creature Comforts-->Your Etsy shop-->the blog... I am starting a pottery class next week and it's so inspirational to see how refined and modern and stunning it can get. (Though I know it will be many long years before I progress beyond the stunted flattish bowls I made in high school!)

    I already added your blog to my bloglines and look forward to reading more. (I also forwarded your wholesaling post to my little brother, who is currently doing cabinet-making work on commission up in NH and made the mistake of under-quoting on one of his first projects and thus netting about $4/hour.)

    ReplyDelete