Tuesday, April 01, 2008

one day

Today was another typical day at the studio. My assistant, Sara, showed up promptly at 9 AM and we sat down for a short meditation session to set our intention for the day. Our intention is the same every day: Experience the joy of clay!

Sara then immediately opened the kilns to unload a glaze firing. It really makes my heart sing to watch her unload a kiln of perfectly fired pots. As she unloads each piece, I wrap it in beautifully colored tissue paper and tie it off with a silk ribbon blessed by the Dalai Lama. We then attach the order to it for afternoon shipping to the happy new owner!

The mailman usually stops by around this time to drop off checks from my various clients. I take them to the bank on my afternoon walk. Today there were so many it actually required two trips. Sigh. Running errands are probably my least favorite thing to do but necessary to keep the studio running!

Fortunately my intern Philip was here today to help relieve the tension I was feeling after two trips to the bank to make deposits. Philip is studying to be a ceramicist AND a massage therapist. He has to practice his massage technique a certain number of hours every week, so when he is finished with his studio duties every day he gives me a 60 minute massage. I must say he is getting quite good at the massage thing!

After I woke up from my massage-induced nap, Sara and I sat down to afternoon tea. Of course we drink only out of cups made by Christa Assad. It just makes tea taste better! While we drink tea and relax we chat about various ways she can improve her performance in the studio and increase overall efficiency. I like to push my employees to be the best workers they can be! When they slack off I make a sad face at them and that usually puts them back on track. They hate to disappoint me.

After tea we brainstormed ideas for my next collection. I will usually close my eyes and go into a deep meditative state. I then toss out words that inspire me, like “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” or “dendrobium” or “bacon”. Bacon is a word that always inspires me. Sara, who is very good with her hands, will interpret my words into a drawing of a ceramic piece. Today I dreamed up the entire collection in one sitting! Then Sara sat down at the wheel and threw samples of each piece for my approval. I usually have her make at least ten of each piece so I can pick out the very best one. Really, that is our slogan around here, "Only the best!" I have everybody repeat that phrase at least 100 times a day so they don't forget it.

Since Sara obviously had a long evening ahead of her I decided to let her have the studio to herself so she could concentrate. And it was cocktail hour back at home anyway! The husband likes to start drinking the second I walk through the door, and today was no exception. I hope you all had as great and April Fool's Day as I did!

18 comments:

  1. Your blog is becoming a bit of an addiction for me.. especially since you're been bloggin a lot more with all the little pictures to keep me stimulated. very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny!

    I subscribed to your blog yesterday, after reading your Etsy featured seller piece (I am an Etsy addict and your work is stunning), and so this was the first post of yours to land in my google reader. I read the whole thing thinking all the while, "Hm. This is NOT how I imagined her, from her Etsy interview."

    You got me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, it took me until the massage part to figure out what day it is!

    Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:20 AM

    busting a gut...

    ReplyDelete
  5. to f***in funny!
    you just described what people THINK our lives are like!!!
    congratulations on the feature!
    hk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Ha! Very nice dream/fool's day!

    I took my very first pottery class yesterday evening and had dreams of clay all night. I'm sore today, which makes me feel weak and silly, but I don't know if I can wait a whole week to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:51 PM

    Thanks for the laugh! I was about to get really, really jealous before I figured out what was going on (somewhere around the two bank trips and the massages).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:27 PM

    brilliant! you had me seething with envy... til i realized that etsy wasn't the only one playing april fool's jokes on the internet today.

    congrats on the featured sellerness! your work is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wouldn't you know the first day i stumbled upon your blog was TODAY!
    i thought...what are we doing wrong here in snowy new hampshire??? my s.o. and i are struggling potters...i bookmarked your blog to return tonite to read more thoroughly...it was until i read the comments and realized...I FELL FOR IT! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Girlfriend - you crack me up! Loved the pic of you and Sara on the kilns - must admit I knew it was a joke just because I normally ROCK the APRIL FOOLS! Gee I hope you weren't kidding about my cups...;)

    Be seeing you REAL soon - at your palace with cocktails and Bon-Bons, like, fer real...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found you upon the recommendation of a friend.
    Your post is hilarious. It took me about 2 paragraphs to get what was going on.

    Sense of humor. A vital thing to have when running a business.

    I'll be sure to come back and read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:43 PM

    OK, I "got it" early on, and yet...I still haven't let go of the massage thing....The suggestion found some secret naive little soft tissue in my brain and settled right in. Probably best not to disturb it. Love the photo of your assistant at your feet. 2 good.
    oh, speaking of shameless self-promo the below link to my blog has pic's of Whit in a bikini ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tres amusant!!!!

    Killer ...it sounded like a good life to me...just no actual WORKING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got it at the second trip to the bank. But I should have gotten it when I noticed that you guys were meditating on the kilns.
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  16. best post ever!!! hmm, to find a massaging intern!!!

    ReplyDelete