Thursday, May 01, 2008

escape

Last weekend I had a gigantic order for the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite, and it was faster to drive to Yosemite and drop it off than to spend the day packing and shipping it, so that's what I did. I took my husband with me since it happened to be our wedding anniversary too. We rented one of those canvas tents that are usually packed with people during the summer, but on a Sunday-Monday in early spring it was pretty quiet. the dogwood trees were blooming like crazy so I was in heaven.

The scale of things in Yosemite is huge-- the rock faces, the waterfalls, the valley floor itself. One of the reasons why I am so inspired by nature is because nature is one of the few places where I can really forget about myself. You are no more insignificant than when you are out in nature because you are no more than a part of nature. Your human significance means absolutely nothing, you can be wiped out as quickly as anything else out there. Being out there, I can be reminded of my insignificance and I can easily forget about myself, my problems, my stress, my concerns. When I can let go of myself I am happy. I wanted to be in concert with Yosemite by letting go of my fear and worry and letting my imagination be as big as Half Dome. When I got back to the studio on Tuesday I threw aa big bowl and giant vase that I sculpted to look like a rock face. We'll see where it takes me.

5 comments:

  1. love the effect that the get-away had on you...stay tuned...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky lady, yosemite is one of my most favorite places on earth : )and you hit it when all the waterfalls were going - right? ahhh, so happy for you and your Mr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like it when business takes one somewhere beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:23 PM

    oh! im so glad i found your blog today! i love your pottery and im getting married in yosemite on friday!! ive never been there before, so this made me even more excited then i already am! i wonder if i'll be able to see your pottery while im there.

    ReplyDelete