Monday, July 08, 2019

hitting the wall

The clock is on countdown to the Clay and Glass Festival. Last week I finished more work than I thought was realistically possible, and somehow managed to get it all into the bisque kiln. Usually, a few pots won't make it in. Like, that kiln was packed. Right now, it's all coming down to pushing everything through the glaze firings. Pulling out the pieces of my booth. Getting packed.

I kind of hit the wall about mid-week last week. For me, hitting the wall happens when I'm getting bored, which can be instigated by overwork. Pottery was flying through my hands, I was getting a little bored with the repetition of it. Boredom, as I have mentioned before, is my kryptonite. My mind starts wandering onto topics like, "Why am I doing this?" "Is this is truly sustainable way to live?" "Are these designs any good at all?" Blah blah blah. So boring. I know exactly what's happening and why I am thinking these thoughts, and yet. And yet. It still gets me down.

Then, a friend stopped by to check in on me and yelled, "Oh my god, everything is so beautiful!" She doesn't know what the hell she is talking about, but it still made me feel a little bit better. No one really knows what they are talking about, even me.

By the way, if you want to come see me at the Clay and Glass Festival, here is the info:

Clay and Glass Festival in Palo Alto
Palo Alto Art Center
1313 Newell Road, Palo Alto
Booth 71
Note: It's always hot, bring water, sunscreen, and a hat. There is food but bring snacks anyway. Parking is crazy but there is valet parking, it's worth it. If you see something you like, buy it right away, you will never make it back to that particular booth.

This will be my 20th year doing this show and I really love it. The best thing about it is, I'm always down about my work going in because I've been working so hard and it never feels good enough. But by the time I leave I feel so inspired and ready to work again because of  the feedback I get. I take lots of notes while I'm there so I have a plan when I get back into the studio. I wish I had 3 or 4 more shows like this one.


2 comments:

  1. For most beginner potters, they may consider getting a kiln, but if you’re not sure whether or not you want one, you can get basic clay to fire it in the oven.

    The benefits of firing in the oven are the following:

    Takes less time
    Can make decent pieces
    Good for learning
    But, a kiln is a step up. However, while they are expensive, they allow you to do the following with them:

    More pieces
    You can fire to hotter temperatures
    You can make ceramics from pottery
    Remember, ceramics is the chemical changes of the pottery as it is heated up. Pottery is just the shaping of it, and if your goal is to just learn how to make items, then an oven might be your better option.

    But, if you like to actually learn how to make stuff that you can use in real life, not just for decorative reasons, then the kiln may be a better option.

    To know more about pottery

    ReplyDelete



  2. Lovely blog. Thanks for sharing with us.This is so useful.
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete